Thursday, August 4, 2011

Total Immersion

This has been an awesome day.  It started out with me dragging around, feeling like bronchitis was on the way, and ended with me feeling victorious and strong. 

Marisa and Jeff arranged for Mike Clay to come speak to our group.  Mike has lost 100 pounds and started a company, Custom Fit Meals, to help others like himself learn to eat whole, natural foods and meet their weight loss goals.  As he told his story, I found myself so many times in his words.  He also made a whole lot of sense as he explained that the simple approach works the best, meaning that your likelihood of success decreases statistically the more complicated you make things.   Think about it: how many weirdo diets have you started and stopped over the years?  Complicated diets only work momentarily.  The key to real success is sustainability.

After work I headed over to John's gym with little confidence that I could work out.  I felt like a limp dishrag and planned on begging him to take it easy on me. No such luck.  John takes no prisoners.   I was running on the treadmill, running outside in the heat, working those blanketity blank ropes outside in the heat, doing push-ups, hitting the bag, doing weights and lunges, and holding a plank position until I was shaking.   I walked out of there a hot mess, but feeling victorious with no symptoms of sickness whatsoever.

The farther I get on this journey, the more I realize how building a weight loss community around yourself is the key to success.  My trainers, my team, my family and friends, and the experts I meet are all layers of support and protection around me.  They keep me going and keep my head in the game.  After all, what is the best way to learn a foreign language?  Total immersion. The same bodes true for weight loss success.

No comments:

Post a Comment