Today was Monday and back to the gym we went. Millie, Florence, Sylvia, and I had decided to do the second part of the bike cardio routine so that we could work up a good sweat following weekend activities that inevitably bring on more temptations. This routine was tougher than the one that we usually do, and since it was interval based, we needed a stopwatch.
The stopwatch that lives in my gym has issues. Every ten minutes or so it goes off for no apparent reason, and no one has been able to fix it. Highly annoying to say the least, especially I'm sure to my trainers who are in the gym more than anyone. Sometimes it hangs from the bulletin board to sing out it's presence every ten minutes to whomever is around. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of something and thought to myself, "There goes that d&^% stopwatch again." Most of the time it stays in the drawer of the desk near the entrance to the gym, and as I went to retrieve it today, it announced itself with a BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP.
I grabbed it up, gave it a cross look, and started across the gym with it to where my friends were waiting on the bikes. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going because I thought my path was clear and I was currently engaged in the familiar pursuit of how to hush the watch. Note to anyone reading this: always look where you're going in a gym. Sure enough, I went stumbling over a pair of 10 pound dumbbells that were laying in the middle of the floor. Luckily with my new spidey senses (aka: I have balance and reflexes now) I was able to catch myself.
After a tough and sweaty workout, Millie and I walked on shaky legs back over to the desk to throw the annoying watch in. Jeff was there and after asking about our workout, he handed me the watch (which had gone off in its usual way) and bet me that I couldn't fix it. A challenge! As I headed back to my desk with the watch in my hand, I immediately began mentally googling stop watch troubleshooting.
After work, and many stopwatch announcements later, I took my crack at it. I was mid-google when I thought about what I do when my Blackberry goes squirrelly...I take the battery out, wait a few seconds, and put it back in and all is right with the world.
"Ha ha ha, I'm gonna crack you open!" I said to the watch with evil undertones. A friend had a mini screwdriver set and with that and the tweezers that I always keep in my desk, I took the watch apart, took out the batteries, put them back, and screwed it back together again. A simple solution and the dang stopwatch reset itself and hushed. It wasn't rocket science or complex engineering by no means, but I did feel a little bit like McGyver.
No comments:
Post a Comment