Wednesday, August 17, 2011

In the meantime, there's always salad.

You'd think after almost a year I'd have this food thing figured out, but it is still a daily struggle.  Today I realized that how I feel is totally cumulative of how I've eaten during the week.  I've kept my calorie count in check this week, but have not been good at getting my protein in.  Several lunches have consisted of low calorie soup that was convenient, but didn't have any protein value at all.

Wednesdays are particularly hard because I do Step class at noon and so I don't want to eat my lunch before hand and risk seeing it come up on the floor of the gym, but you have to have something to fuel you on so what to do?  Today I ate some fruit and cheese before heading to class, but as soon as I got there, I almost felt hungrier than before my snack.  What proceeded was a limp noodle trying to work out.   My limbs felt heavy and didn't want to move, and I highly suspect that the third pair of tennis shoes in a year are on their last legs due to the way my feet were hurting.

I never quit a workout and refused to throw in the towel.  When I almost fell off one side of my step then the other, I finished the rest of the class on the floor.  It wasn't my shining moment, but I got through it and headed back to my desk to hoover down the grilled chicken salad that was waiting for me.

Later in the day, I found myself arriving home later than usual and discovered that the teriyaki beef that I'd gotten going in my crockpot this morning had literally turned into jerky.  Somehow we choked it down and thankfully there was salad too. 

No wonder obesity is an epidemic.  Eating right is hard. It's so much easier to hit the drive through, and a lot cheaper too.  But, nothing worth having comes easy, so I'm determined to figure this thing out. In the meantime, there's always salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment