![]() |
| Last September, in front of the hurricane display. |
![]() | ||
| Today, same spot, different me. |
![]() | ||||||
| Having a fun day with Cameron and Hailey. |
Later the kids wanted to eat dinner at Golden Corral so that's where we went. I ate a salad and grilled steak. Everyone else, however, put on the feed bag. There was fried chicken, pizza, french fries, desserts, even a cotton candy machine. I finished my meal long before everyone else and I had to sit there amongst all that food, still slightly hungry. I watched as people came back from the buffet with plates loaded with food that was definitely off of my menu. A plate heaped with warm yeast rolls, shiny with butter, drifted by me and my mouth watered. I stayed strong and finally we were able to get out of there before my resolve waivered.
I got a little satisfaction later when we got back to my sister-in-law's house and everyone was full and miserable on the couch, slowly slipping off into a food coma while I felt fine. I wanted to get some activity so I looked around the room at everyone and said, "Hey kids, want to go skating?" They were all hyped up on cotton candy and gummy bears from the ice cream bar, of course they wanted to go skating.
The adults groaned, but the kids and I were insistent. So off we went to the skating rink. My nephew was a little nervous on skates, but I ran beside him while he skated, so that I would be there if he started to fall. Then he got a little more comfortable and we had a race: me on foot, him on skates. It felt great to be able to keep up with the kids. I was missing out on so much in my old unhealthy days. You only learn so much about the kids in your life watching them from the couch. Aunt Jennifer still reads stories and draws pictures, but she's also right there when the kids want to run.



No comments:
Post a Comment