We made it through Hurricane Irene with minimal damage and only minor irritations. God definitely spared us from what the Weather Channel was calling an "epic storm". Note to self: stop watching the Weather Channel. Their hyper dramatics sent me straight to a box of salt and pepper Triscuits on Friday. Marry this with the fact that I didn't work out on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday and today I was feeling puffy and restless.
So I learned two lessons: one, find my weather updates elsewhere so that I don't stress eat and two, I am not motivated to exercise at home. Oh, I had the P90X kenpo DVD at my disposal for the duration of the storm, but I didn't want to do it.
No worries though. Monday came around and today life went back to normal. I rounded up the girls (who had had similar hurricane experiences) on email and we quickly worked out a plan to do the cardio-strength workout Millie and I had created. At two o'clock we were back in the gym, sweaty and out of breathe, but feeling back to normal.
As we were running laps between each exercise, I was thinking about how much my group motivates me. The others feel the same way too. Millie admitted that she wouldn't have come today had she not been meeting up with the rest of us. I thought about this and about how most of the people that I see regularly in the gym work out with at least one other person. If I could only impart one piece of advice about how to be successful with a wellness plan it would be this: get yourself some buddies. There are six of us ladies, and we all have those days that the only reason we show up to work out is because we want to be together.
Today, I was so proud of our group and the fact that we have all of this knowledge and the ability to create a workout to challenge ourselves. At the end of it, I looked around at everyone's red faces and said, "Who hates Jenn and Millie?"
Millie, who was propped up on the ledge of the window to catch her breathe, laughed and said, "I hate Jenn and Millie!" I laughed and said, "I hate Jenn and Millie too!"
So, Irene may have blown us a little to right or left off of the path of our journey, but today we got right back to center.
No comments:
Post a Comment