Monday, August 15, 2011

Fluff Club

My Nanny had a cross stitched picture of a sheep hanging on her wall forever and ever that had the saying, "Ewes not fat, ewes fluffy".  You know those certain things around your grandparent's house that always stood out to you in childhood?  That was mine.  I always loved that little saying.

Tonight a group of friends and I met to establish a monthly night where we can come together and discuss our weight loss challenges, exchange recipes, talk about what motivates us and what gets us down.   We got the idea from the show "Ruby," a reality show about a woman who used to weigh 700 some pounds and now is down in the 300's.  She calls hers "Women's Fat Night," but we wanted to have our own name.  As we pondered it over, Amy mentioned that cute little saying about not being fat, but rather being fluffy and then she came up with the name, Fluff Club.  We all loved it!  I suggested our mascot could be a cute, fluffy sheep. 

And so Fluff Club has been born.  We're all on different legs of our journeys, but our destination is the same.  Vera's just about to her goal weight and looks awesome, but she still struggles with the same challenges that I do.  Amy doesn't have as much weight to lose as me, but it's still just as hard to her as it is to me.  I can't wait until the next meeting and also can't wait to try the yummy low cal crock pot carnitas recipe that Amy gave us tonight.

As I was driving home, I realized what a different and wonderful era we've entered into.   All of the shows like "The Biggest Loser" and "Heavy" and "Ruby," have brought overweight people "out of the closet" so to speak, and have de-stigmatized the challenge of weight loss.   I remember being so ashamed to say I was "on a diet" back in the day.   Now, with so many of us, no matter whether we are overweight or not, focused on wellness, it's easier to be out in the open about your struggle.  These days most people are trying to eat healthier and exercise, or at least they talk about it and acknowledge the benefits.  Restaurants are finally getting on board and offering healthy choices.  It just makes it easier, and hey I'll take any advantage I can get. 

So yay for Fluff Club!  I can't wait to meet up with you ladies again.  I have realized that it is so important on a journey like this to build a community of like minded folks around you.  Mine is made up of my supportive family and friends, my trainers, my Transformation team, my exercise instructors and the friends in class, my girls in the locker room, and now Fluff Club.  The stronger you can build your web of support, the better.  On the days when your resolve is weak, they are what get you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment