Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My New Friend Debbie

One of my favorite shows last season was A & E's "Heavy."  If you've never watched it, it is a truly inspirational show.  It allows you to follow the experiences of people who have a long weight loss journey ahead of them (like me), but who courageously share their story and their quest to save their lives through diet and exercise.   What was really cool last season was that one of the people documented on the show, a bubbly blonde named Debbie, was from our hometown of Wilmington!  As I watched her story this winter, right smack in the middle of my own struggle, I connected with her and what she was going through.  Her triumphs gave me hope and I thought, maybe one of these days I'll run into her around town.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I met someone who knew her, and he was able to introduce us via Facebook.  Millie and I quickly struck up an online friendship with Debbie and found her to be a genuinely nice person who was eager to share her story and be our cheerleader. 

Yesterday, after having our butts kicked by Jeff and Marisa in a workout that still has me saying "ouch" when I sit down, Lakshmi and I had the wonderful opportunity to have dinner with Debbie.  Immediately on meeting her I felt like I'd known her a million years.   We all shared similar stories and things we'd found helpful.  We commiserated on past and present struggles and the things that we do to encourage ourselves.  It was also cool to hear what it's like to be on a weight loss show.   Debbie is such a brave and honest person and I'm happy to call her my friend and sister in combat.

What I'm learning is that when you cast your net out and seek like minded people, you increase your community of support.  This community of support is like your armor, because make no mistake, this is the fight of your life. The stronger you make that armor, i.e. the more people in your community, the better defense you have, and that defense is priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment