Thursday, May 26, 2011

When The Road Gets Rough

Watching The Biggest Loser finale this week I found it interesting to hear Ally congratulate each contestant on their "journey" because that's what I've called my own struggle since that first day in September.    If you have more than just 10 pounds to lose, the struggle is a journey.  The road has it's twists and turns. Sometimes there's a sunny day where you have the top down, wind in your hair, cruising at top speed with your favorite song on the stereo and nothing but smooth, flat pavement ahead of you.   Then some days, the road is jagged, curvy, and you feel like you're headed straight up a mountain in a rain storm, with nothing in your gas tank and two flat tires. 

Last week the journey was like a fun college road trip.  This week has been more of the treacherous commute variety.   My right foot hurt so bad during my workouts and for some reason I just didn't have much energy.  My competitive spirit was on the bench and sent the next player, Survival Mode Jenn, into the game in its place.

Tuesday Marisa set up one circuit that included 50 bench step ups.   When it was my turn, I stood behind the bench, put the supporting leg up, took a deep breathe and....stepped back in defeat.  I stared at the bench.  I started to step up and then stepped back again.   I was afraid and irrational.   Then I walked away and went into the group exercise room by myself in frustration, defeat and embarrassment.  

After some coaching from Marisa, I came out and found Millie on one side of the bench and Sylvia on the other.  "I know you can do this." Marisa said.   I looked at Millie and then at Sylvia.  They had total faith in me, more than I had in myself.   I took a deep breathe, backed up a couple of steps for momentum and lifted myself up onto that bench.   Then I did it again. Then I did it 48 more times, encouraged on the whole way by Millie, Sylvia and Marisa.  That's the difference.  When the road gets rough, when you're out of gas, when your tires are busted and you're stranded...having your support team is better than triple A any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment