Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Lizard

I'm not a sweet tooth - Doritos and salty snacks are my craving - but I must say that one thing I miss in the unhealthy food category is a Dairy Queen Blizzard.   Last night I saw a commercial for one and it made my mouth water.    When we were kids during summers at the lake, at night we'd take the boat over to Goldston's where there were rides, a huge arcade and a Dairy Queen.  The service was surly but a Butterfinger Blizzard on a hot summer night was a little piece of heaven.

A couple of years ago my husband and I were on our way back from South Carolina and pulled off of I-95 to get gas and lo and behold there was a Dairy Queen.  Of course the line at the counter was twelve deep but I was bound and determined that I was going to get my fix no matter how long I had to stand there. The line slowly crept forward until there was only one woman in front of me.   I had noticed that she was wearing one of those custom made family reunion t-shirts - I had stood behind her in line long enough to memorize her whole family tree - but little did I suspect what was about to happen.

When it was her turn in line she waved her arm rapidly towards a big chartered bus in the parking lot, and the whole busload of people came pouring out to give her their orders.   It is a testament to my love for the Blizzard - and my hard-headedness - that I still stood there in line as each family member placed their order....all with the exception of one woman.   She hemmed and hawed debating what to get while I seethed silently and shifted from foot to foot. 

"A hot dog?  Do you want a hamburger?   How about a Blizzard?" her relative asked patiently.

She shook her head and said, "This lizard don't want no Blizzard!"

I almost screamed, "Well this lizard does so would you order already!"

Eventually it was my turn and I was able to get my treat and get back on the road.    Man, the lengths I would go to for a Blizzard!   Something that would be consumed in minutes, but hang around my hips for the next three years.  I can control myself these days, but man sometimes this lizard really wants a Blizzard!

No comments:

Post a Comment