Yesterday I had an awesome workout and I was riding high on my success. Today I woke up and was unusually grumpy (this doesn't usually happen to me and I can't stand being in a bad mood) and the skies were gray with the rain that's been threatening to fall all day. My knees and feet hurt and I started to panic thinking all sorts of crazy scenarios where I'd be out of commission and off of my purpose (aka: the exact opposite of everything I desire)...I quizzed my friend Brad (who's had knee surgery) relentlessly about the anatomy of the knee until I'd wound myself up almost to the verge of a certified hissy fit. Thank goodness I had badgered my friend Julie (who has been my loyal work out buddy on the days I don't work with my trainer) to go to the gym early this morning. I knew she was counting on me and she knew I was counting on her....and it would have been very easy for either of us to cave and say, "let's not go" and the other would have said "Okay sounds good!". I'm proud of both of us that we went and did what we could. So I guess the lesson learned is that some days you're a rock star and some days you feel like a rock, or that you've been hit by a rock, or throwing some rocks (at someone or something.). One of my favorite sayings comes from a British World War II poster that was created in the event that Germany won the war in order to boost the morale of the people, "Keep Calm and Carry On." Good words to live by and good advice for me to give myself. There will be highs and lows in any test of endurance. Take a deep breathe, put one foot in front of the other, and:

No comments:
Post a Comment