Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Challenge: Comfort Food

I love the beach and love living here by the coast, especially in the summer, but I must admit that I LOVE fall.   I especially love cozy movie nights at home with my husband and our jack russells.  Last night it got cold enough so that when I got home Eric had the first fire of the season going in the fireplace and the house was so warm and snuggly.  The only downside, fall weather and cozy nights in of course bring with them a food association.  (Doesn't everything?) It's not summer fresh produce season anymore, the bulky, forgiving sweaters have come out of the closet, and you want to tuck in at night with big plate of chicken and pastry, steak and mashed potatoes, shepard's pie, noodles with spaghetti sauce, that "stick to your ribs" food that this time of year is associated with.   It sticks other places too is the problem.   So as I drove home - I had worked late and had several errands to contend with before heading home - I already knew I wasn't cooking.    My mind wandered to all the lovely comfort food I could imagine.  Here also is the other challenge: I needed the Holy Grail of food, something easy, quick, cheap and nutritious - and something that appealed to my comfort food craving.   

That's when I remembered a friend talking about Wendy's chili.   And there was a Wendy's on my way home.   Friends, if you are in a pinch, go for the chili.  I got a large cup and it was 330 calories and delish!  What's more is that it filled my craving, 2 cups (one for me and one for my husband) were just a little over 4 dollars (not bad, dinner under 5 dollars), was satisfying, and filling since it had all those fiber-filled kidney beans.  So, Comfort Food Night can still be enjoyable!  Especially if you're the jack russell in the chair nearest the fire place:

No comments:

Post a Comment