My wonderful friend M drove across three counties today to do Zumba with me. It was awesome to have her there with me sweating it out. We had a great time dancing and burning up the calories. What is really cool these days for me is to feel my muscles responding like they should because when I first started working out, they would lock up...freeze and cramp. Now I've got such a better range of motion and stamina, it makes me want to do even more, to push myself just to see what I can do. My balance is better and so is my agility. That is the best gift in the world...I feel like a whole new person already. I know the old me would never get out of bed early on a Saturday morning - and especially to go exercise. After class we caught up with the instructor and told her about the program we were doing and showed her our Go Wear Fit bands. After hearing how many calories I burned in her last class, she got a grin on her face and said, "Cool. Now I'm going to have to beat that." When will I ever learn what not to say to a trainer?
After Zumba I had to take lunch to my husband who was slaving away in the yard. He wanted Burger King God bless him. Now what you must understand is that I love french fries. And I haven't eaten them in 9 weeks. And I used to eat them all the time. And at this point I had just finished an hour of intense cardio and I was hungrey like a wolf. I pulled through the drive thru and ordered his Whopper with cheese, the fries and was surprised to see that they have apples as an option as well. So I got a 25 calorie bag of apples.
The 10 minute drive alone in the car with the fries was hard. The little voice in my head told me that I could have just one fry and be okay. And they smelled sooo good. And they were right there on the car seat next next to me. No one would ever know. But, a wise person yesterday opened my eyes to the theory of personifying your fears and destructive behavior, that way once you turn them into something with a a face or a character, it takes away their power. For instance, the french fries. I pictured Mr. French Fries as a smarmy character in a beret who was tempting me down the wrong path, like a hustler on a street corner trying to sell you a fake Rolex. Mr. French Fries told me I could give in just this once and it would be okay. But, once my temptation had a face, it was so obvious what his game was all about, and I was able to resist him. I sat next to my husband outside on this beautiful day and ate my apples while he woofed down the Burger King, and I felt victorious.
The same wise person also delved into "you are what you eat, literally" with me a couple of weeks ago. So, do you want to be a crispy, delicous apple, or a mushy, greasy salty fry? I'd take the apple any day. Those fries would have given me about two minutes of pleasure in the time it would take to eat them. But, making the decision not to, along with a great workout this morning, has made me happy and healthy all day. That's priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment