Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Gauntlet

Walking in to the gym yesterday I saw two of the guys on my Transformation team who were just finishing their workout with Jeff.    They were trying to catch their breathe and looked as if someone had upended a water bucket over their heads. 

"What happened to y'all?!" I asked.  Ha ha....apparently the same thing that was about to happen to me. 

George on my team referred to it as the gauntlet and it turned out to be the hardest workout I've had yet.   Sylvia and I ran multiple sprints (I still marvel every time my feet leave the ground), lifted more weight than ever before, slugged it out on the elliptical, and went back to repeat all of it all over again.

The very last thing we did was get on the elliptical and try to hit the speeds Jeff would call out.   And I'll note that he turned the setting to the hardest level, 25.  Here I was drenched with sweat, exhausted, and my legs felt like Jello.   I really didn't think I had anything left in me and Jeff wanted us to hit a speed of 185.  I looked at him like he'd lost his mind, but he was dead serious.  "We're not stopping till you get 185."

I dug down and gave it all I had and couldn't reach it.   170, 174, still not even close to 180.  One big burst of energy and I got it to 184.  Seriously? I wanted to fall in the floor and admit defeat, but I looked over at Sylvia on the elliptical next to me (she'd already hit 185) and she said, "You can do it."   I looked at Jeff.  He agreed.   So I went all out.  I bet I looked crazy, all gritted teeth and arms and legs flying all about, but I did it - 186!!!  I may have looked like I was about to vomit, with crazy hair and a drenched shirt.  I may not have been able to walk a straight line momentarily...but I did it!   I survived the gauntlet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment