Thursday, July 21, 2011

Slim Jenn and White Bread

Usually for breakfast I make a chicken sandwich with a smart bagel and it ends up being under 200 calories and keeps me from being hungry until lunch time.  This morning I realized i was out of those and so had to grab two slices of white bread instead.   No worries, it still ends up being around the same amount of calories.  Since the only toasters are in the first floor break room, I went downstairs to toast up the bread.   It had just popped up and I'd wrapped it up in a paper towel when who should come around the corner but Jeff.  When he saw I had white bread in my hand, he said, "Minter! I'm shocked!" Sheepishly I countered with, "But Jeff, it's only 100 calories!" He then reminded me that even though the calories might be right, white bread is high on the glycemic index and therefore I would be hungrier faster.  Like a bad dog, I tucked my tail under and went back to my desk with my evil white bread.

Later on in the day I was on my way to the gym when I ran into my cute friend Lisa.   She said, "You are looking good" and told me that she'd recently seen a Slim Jim commercial and decided then that she should call me Slim Jenn.  I loved it. I'm not slim yet, but Lisa, I take that as inspiration!

I continued down to the gym and met up with my gym family to work out.  Since every one of my muscles was sore (a pride I wore like a badge, thank you Jeff and John!) I decided to lay off the weights and just do cardio.   I'd made it through the treadmill, bike, elliptical, and crunches and was stretching out when around the corner came Jeff.  "Hey White Bread!" he said.  We then had a good conversation about what I should be eating and I realize now that I have to plan my food better. 

One thing I did plan ahead on was tonight's dinner, Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken.  It was tasty:

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
1 can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
***I added black beans too.

Add chicken to slow cooker.  Sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken (can use 1/2 a pack for less sodium).  Pour salsa and soup over chicken.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.  Serve with rice (I didn't eat the rice and it was good because I added the beans).
157.2 calories,3.3 g of fat, 6.7 g of carbs, 24.3 g of protein.

So, I have two new nicknames: Slim Jenn and White Bread.  Add those to Minty Fresh, 50 Mint, and the like.  Hey, I'll answer to anything. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment