We had an awesome, if windy, day at the beach. A family friend from Charlotte, who I haven't seen since last summer, was down for a visit. It was nice to hear her remark about the difference in me. That kind of thing keeps me going when it gets tough or I feel I'm not getting anywhere.
After relaxing on the beach, the whole group got cleaned up and went out to dinner at a local restaurant that has a little of everything, but also really good pizza. Pizza is off my menu for sure, so I ordered a Greek salad with grilled chicken, but the rest of the crowd agreed on pizza. I've been at this game for almost a year now, and have encountered all kinds of food challenges including holidays, office parties, birthday parties, and random Tuesdays passing my favorite Chinese place. In the beginning, I had to avoid certain situations altogether because my resolve was in the fledgling stages. However, there comes a point in time when you have to be able to adapt yourself to any situation and not enforce your dietary constrictions on others. At this point in time, you have to be accountable and most importantly, in control. You're not a newbie, you know what to do...you're a seasoned diet war vet who can't hide from challenging situations or live inside a carb-free bubble. That is how you change your lifestyle.
All that being said, it was still hard to watch everyone else eat my favorite food and consign myself to my salad. As we walked out to the car, everyone was saying how full they were, while my stomach still felt empty. I was still hungry. Luckily, I remembered that I'd bought a pack of sugar-free key lime flavored gum. It wasn't a lovely, cheesy, garlicky slice of heaven, but it took the edge off and eventually, I realized I wasn't hungry anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment