Monday, July 18, 2011

A New Solution

The hardest thing about the losing weight game is by far the food.  What to eat, when to eat it, what's good, what's bad, how to eat healthy on the go...there are challenges around every corner.   This challenge is then compounded when you work full time and have a commute.  Add to this limited restaurant choices due to living in a small down, and thus my daily dilemma.  Between more often than not leaving work late, an hour drive home, and the daily errands of a normal life, and usually I find myself too tired and without the time or inclination to cook dinner.  And friends, there are only so many days a week you can eat Subway. This has been a huge challenge for me...until now.

I have found my new BFF, the slow-cooker liner.  They're made in the same manner as oven bags and fit right onto your crockpot so that when you're finished eating, you just toss them and go...no dishes to wash.  Last week I put a roast into the crockpot and threw in some frozen veggies that were already washed and prepped, added some seasoning and cut that bad boy on low before walking out the door in the morning,  and in five minutes you have dinner ready when you walk in the door.   It's so nice to have that hurdle jumped and to walk into the house to the lovely aroma of a healthy, home cooked dinner all ready and waiting.  And no dishes to wash! 

This morning I put a pork tenderloin with marinade on before I left for work.   The smell of garlic and herbs welcomed us home.   I threw one of those steamable frozen veggie packs into the microwave, sliced up a fresh tomato and seasoned it with herbs, and voila: a healthy and delicious dinner!   The pork was falling apart and juicy.   And the meal was under ten dollars.  Considering I paid twelve dollars for some Subway the other day that was not nearly as satisfying, not so bad all around. Ten dollars and ten minutes and we had dinner.

So much of losing weight, whether its in what you eat or the exercise that you do, is thinking outside of the box and constantly re-inventing the wheel.   Now I need to do some more research into low cal, easy, low carb recipes, but it's nice to have a new solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment