Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Yo Adrian
I had kind of a stressful weekend this past weekend due to car troubles, and the temptation to eat poorly was high. It started out Friday night when I slipped on an icy part of the deck and fell directly onto my knee with one arm going through the railings. I was fine other than some bruising that looks worse than it feels, and I attribute that to better muscle control from working out and fifty pounds less velocity on the way down. In the past a fall like that, or a cold, or really any ailment that could be used as an excuse would have given me the escape clause that I used to look for to avoid exercise. Now that doesn't happen; I was actually thinking to myself that I hoped I wasn't too sore from the fall to workout, and I wasn't. Sunday the car trouble had me in one of those potentially self destructive moods that told me to forget it all and go eat all the chips and salsa I wanted - but I reigned it in. What I've learned is this: there's no secret to willpower. There's no way I can tell anyone how to get it. There's no trick to motivation. You have to want it. You have to eat it, sleep it, breathe it, sweat it, and dream it. You have to keep that goal in your head 24/7 and never let up. There was a Rocky marathon on last week and my husband and I watched all of them. I decided that I want to be like Rocky Balboa when he goes the distance fighting Apollo Creed. I may be battered and bloody at the end of all this but yo Adrian, I'm still going to be on my feet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What I've learned is this: there's no secret to willpower. There's no way I can tell anyone how to get it. There's no trick to motivation. You have to want it. You have to eat it, sleep it, breathe it, sweat it, and dream it. You have to keep that goal in your head 24/7 and never let up.
ReplyDeleteAmen! CONGRATS on your first 50!! GO JEN!!!
Susan