Opening scene: Me, sweating bullets, hitting cross punches at the boxing mits Marisa is holding.
Marisa: Good job. Get some water while I go get a jump rope.
Me (oblivious, half staggering towards the water fountain): Okay. (a couple gulps of air, a couple gulps of water and stand up suddenly, looking around the gym) Wait, what did she just say?
Marisa: Okay, what you're going to do is give me ten jumps.
Me: Me?
Marisa: Yep. If it takes the whole rest of the time we're in here, you're going to give me 10 jumps.
Me: I don't think I can do this. (these feet haven't left the ground in years. Pause to see if she's serious. She is.) But I'll give it a try for you. (fear fear fear fear terror. I'm gonna get tangled up and die. I'm gonna land the wrong way and break my leg. I'm gonna go falling and break my neck and die. They can put up a sign in my memory over the punching bag that says "Jenn - she sure did try." Wait, did my feet just leave the ground? I just jumped. Wait, I just jumped rope 10 times. Wow!
Marisa: Jeff! Come and see this. She said she couldn't jump rope. Give me 10 more to show Jeff.
Dang it. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment