I'm one of those people that if I'm into something, I'm into it all the way or not at all. Sometimes that's a good thing (i.e., working out) and sometimes that's a bad thing (i.e., Doritos and the couch). When I started this journey, I jumped into it with both feet. I put my story out there on the web, I told everyone I knew and some I didn't (i.e., people in line at Subway) my goals, and I attended triathalons and marathons either as a volunteer at a water station or cheering from the sidelines. Just putting myself in situations where I was around athletic people put me in the mindset of the road ahead of me if I stuck to my guns. The other thing I did was do my research: I scoured exercise magazines, checked out several gyms and different classes, quizzed my trainers, and cruised the internet to find out everything from what to eat, how to move, or what was going on with my stomach after a workout. What all of that added up to was a state of total immersion that kept me engaged and always wanting more, whether that was trying something new in the gym or gaining more victories on the scale.
100 pounds and many months later, I'm still pleasantly surprised every day from the blessings that arise every day. Today that surprise was the ten of my friends who wanted to do the workout I'd cooked up for my two regular workout buddies and myself. There were so many of us that we had to book the group exercise room in our gym so that we'd have enough space. Then they made me get up in the front of the room to lead them. Now I am a back-row-in-class kinda girl (where else can I trip all over my feet and go the wrong direction undetected) so I was nervous about: one, being front and center and two, making sure I gave them a good workout. Soon though everyone was sweating and laughing and my nerves eased off.
This journey is hard and it takes a lot of mental and physical energy to get where you want to go, but if you give yourself over to it, get into it, and work on getting over the things that make you uncomfortable, you will find some amazing things along the way...take it from me, a former Dorito-munching-couch-potato: anything is possible. Immerse yourself and see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment