Thursday, March 1, 2012

Interesting Experiments In Accomplishment

"Jenn you're crazy."

I've heard this phrase numerous times in my life and don't deny that it's true.  Lately I've been hearing it in response to my workout plans for the day.  And God bless my workout partners for going along with my insanity.  Daily when we meet up in the locker room, they'll look at me and say, "What are we doing today?"  I usually have a mischievous look in my eyes as I pull from my gym bag the paper containing whatever madness I've either created or found, and lay it on them.  To their credit, usually their eyes get wide and they let out their breathe but always say (sometimes with more conviction than others) "Okay, we'll try it."

Today I was a little worried that I'd picked too large of a challenge with the "100 Workout" I found online.  Basically it broke down like this:
  • 100 jumping jacks
  • 90 crunches
  • 80 squats
  • 70 leg lifts
  • 60 jumping jacks
  • 50 crunches
  • 40 jumping jacks
  • 30 leg lifts
  • 20 jumping jacks
  • 10 minutes of cardio
If you do the math, that's 540 reps, not counting the cardio at the end.  Quite frankly, I was doubting my own sanity.   But when that change happens to you (the one where you go from an attitude of doing the bare minimum in a workout to get by to the attitude of willingly and actively pushing yourself to see just how far you can go) you find yourself doing stuff that you would at one point thought impossible...and doing it voluntarily at that.   It becomes an interesting experiment in accomplishment.

My legs were shaking and turning to Jello halfway into the first 80 squats but I found a focal point and kept going and I'm happy to say that we completed the entire 100 workout.  And then went on to doing 5 sets of sprints working the treadmill without power.  I don't think I've been that sweaty in my life.  Even my hair tie was saturated.  I may be walking like a cowboy tomorrow, but it was awesome.

"Jenn, you're crazy."

It's true...but I've found a good way to channel my insanity. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment