Now let me preface the following with this: rowing is a lot harder than it looks and it works parts of you that you didn't know you had. In training we would compete against each other in 250 meter sprints and the most I've ever rowed to my knowledge is 1,000 meters. 10,000 meters seemed an impossible challenge, but I wanted to give it a shot. Lucky for me that my gym had two rowers and I had Millie who was willing to try that craziness with me.
And so we started.
- For the first 1,000 meters I just concentrated on finding the most effective stride, making sure my arms and legs were working in sync (no small feat for me) and that I was rowing with a sustainable pace.
- The second 1,000 meters started to wear me down...10,000 seemed a lonnnnng way off. I tried to distract myself by singing songs about rowing to Millie. "We could have had it allllllll, rowing in the deeeeeeeeep." and "They see me row-ing, they hating...wanna catch me rowing dirty..."
- In the third 1,000 meters we decided that we only realistically had time to go to 5,000 and even that seemed so far off. My abs of all things started burning and my legs wanted to give out. I also managed to master the art of rowing one handed while flipping tracks on my Ipod.
- The fourth 1,000 meters attracted the attention of our trainer Jeff who came over to crank the damper (i.e. the lever that controls the weight of your "boat") from five to ten (the heaviest setting). As if our legs weren't about to fall off already...but that's what trainers are for...to push us.
- The last 1,000 meters were a blur of screaming muscles, pure stubbornness, and encouraging shouts from Jeff and Millie, who'd finished ahead of me but said she'd keep going till I finished. I can't tell you how many times she's done this simple but wonderful act of unity for me.
The thing I've learned lately is the fastest way out of an exercise rut is to stop mindlessly banging away at the same ole same ole and find yourself a challenge. More info on indoor rowing can be found at: http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2008/03/indoor-rowing-training/.
I just found your blog through Pinterest, and, MAN, am I glad I did. I laughed out loud at your rowing songs. Keep up the good work, you inspiring lady, you. :)
ReplyDelete