"I forgot my socks!" said Millie from across the locker room as we were changing out today. Inevitably this happens at least once a week with our group. Someone will forget their socks, or a hair tie, or some other garment and we'll all go digging around in our gym bags for extras.
"Hey," I said as we got dressed. "At least it's not something critical like pants or shoes."
Ironic words out of my mouth because five minutes later as we started to warm up on the treadmills, I had a shoe calamity. It turned out that the new pair of running shoes that had felt right in the store this weekend were the wrong, wrong choice. As soon as my feet started moving on the belt, the side of my right foot up near my pinky toe that always gives me a fit started burning like someone had lit a candle to it. The shoes were pinching in the worst place and I realized that everyone who had told me that this particular brand of shoes were always too narrow had been right.
They had felt fine at the store. I had walked briskly up and down the aisles of shoes, thinking that my idea to run back and forth to test out the shoes would have gotten me some odd glances from the large crowd of weekend shoppers. I should have done it and let everyone think I was a weirdo, then I wouldn't have been in the predicament I found myself in at the gym today. I also should have listened to my instinct that told me to take my old shoes along with me this morning.
Frustrated, I got off of the treadmill, jealous of my friends in their perfectly comfy shoes who were already into the 5K training we'd planned today. What to do...I could have gotten on the bike, but I wanted to run with my friends.
"Just take 'em off and come on." Millie said.
So that's what I did. I ditched the cute but wretched pair of shoes and ran in my socks. I had no shoes and Millie had no socks, but we made it work.
That is just bad ass. You need to keep your old pair of crosstrainers as a reminder of how far you've come.:0) Crista
ReplyDelete