Thursday, September 8, 2011

It

So I'm a scardey cat, that has been established.  95% of the stuff I'm scared of is irrational.  Case in point: I get totally freaked out whenever anyone is chasing me, even if I know that it is a game and no harm will come to me.

Today Jeff trained Millie, Laks, Flo, and I and after doing a tough circuit of arm band exercises, he moved on to making us run 40 yard sprints with and without weights, and had us do sets of squats while holding a 25 pound weight over our heads.

Next up though was the real fun.   He filed us up in a single file line with me at the front and said that I was going to run the lap first and then he'd tell the others when they could go.  Okay, no problem, I thought and took off when he yelled "go".

Ah but the twist.  I had no sooner reached the half way point when he yelled for Millie to go. "Tag Minter! Get her!" I looked back as I ran, and sure enough, there was Millie (who is just as competitive as I am but a heck of a lot faster) gaining on me and grinning as she did it.  Then Jeff was telling the others to go and giving them the same instructions.   I suddenly found myself as "it" in an old school game of tag.

Panic! Terror! Old irrational fears stabbed at me as I ran and in my mind I felt like the last human survivor of the apocalypse with not my friends chasing me, but instead a troupe of hungry zombies ready to suck out my brains. I must have made some crazy face with the way Jeff was laughing. Somehow I made it past the safe zone without Millie tagging me and I staggered off to hold my side and catch my breathe. 

Not long though and we were running, in the same order with me as bait again, only this time Jeff sent the girls after me sooner and this round Millie caught me.  A short pause to catch our breathe and Jeff sent me out first again.   As I rounded the corner and started back I jumped into Millie's path and yelled "Counter-attack!" She started laughing and it was enough to throw her off a little bit and get me, untagged, across the line. 

One more time we lined up and one more time I was "It."  This time though I was winded and Millie easily gained on me, so in order to avoid being tagged, I made a quick right in between two weight machines and she flew on past me. Cheating yes, but hey, my agility is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment