Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ooo That Smell

Remember those old episodes of Tom and Jerry where Tom would be really hungry and start hallucinating that various objects and people around him were turning into juicy hams or large turkey legs? I think the same thing is happening to me only instead of seeing visions of food I am experiencing phantom smells. 

Today in the gym as I ran on the treadmill, I suddenly caught a whiff of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.  It was so strong that it was almost like being in my Momma's kitchen. There's no logical reason for the smell.  No one had cookies in the gym and there wasn't even anyone near me who could have been wearing cookie-scented body spray (wouldn't that be torture?). What was disturbing was that earlier in the day I had smelled fried chicken, pot roast, baked beans, and spaghetti.  All again for no reason.


It must be my stricter diet that has me "hallucinating" smells lately.  If only I could harness this mental fake-out and use it to my favor.  After my workout, I sat at my desk crunching carrots and trying to mentally turn them into Doritos. Ummm I LOVE carrots.  They are just as tasty as Doritos.  They are orange and crunchy like Doritos. Sooo satisfying.

Didn't work.  I finally broke down and ate a 100 calorie snack and was so grateful for it I started singing, "I have popcorn, I have popcorn, na na na na na nahhhhhh" to the tune of La Cucaracha to myself at my desk.  I'm sure my cube neighbors doubt my sanity, and quite frankly so do I after everything I've been smelling today. Dieting will plain turn you crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment