Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Plateau, Oh No!

Plateaus are frustrating.  For four solid weeks that blankety blank scale hasn't moved up or down one bit and despite my efforts, I find myself at the same weight (almost down to the tenth of a pound) as I was one month ago.   Plateaus are inevitable; this is the third one I've experienced on this journey, but they are oh so aggravating especially when I am this close to the milestone of losing 100 pounds. 

Plateaus can also be constructive.  They force you to re-evaluate your process and shake things up.  I myself have been relying way too much lately on Lean Cuisines and the like, rather than the whole foods that have brought me success. While the calories between the two ways of eating are comparable, whole foods are a lot less sodium and a lot better for you at the end of the day. 

One thing I've learned going through this process is that you can't keep things the same for too long; our bodies lose weight when they are confused whether in response to different food or new exercises. Today I started back on my whole foods and left the frozen diet meals in the freezer. If you find yourself frustrated due to a plateau, keep your head up and resort to trickery.  Eventually the storm will break and the scale will be your friend again. 

And, speaking of frustrations: I am taking a poll to find out what is the most challenging aspect of the weight loss journey.  It is on the right hand side of the blog.  I'd love to know your thoughts!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment