Sunday, June 3, 2012

"The Cure For Anything is Salt Water"

My sister and I after a day in the pool.

There have been a few summers in my life that I didn't enjoy very much because I didn't feel very good physically or about myself.  There have been a few summers I sat on the sidelines and watched everyone else enjoy my favorite activities (precisely what's going on in the "before" picture in my blog banner).  But for the most part I have been a summer-loving water baby. Last summer I attacked life with a new found vigor that came from my release from an unhealthy lifestyle and unwanted pounds.  This summer has started out, and is going to be, even better.  

Summer can also be a great time to boost your weight loss activities.  Some of the reasons why:

  • We trade comfort food for healthier fare cooked outside on the grill.
  • The abundance of fresh fruits and veggies: some of my favorites being tomatoes, corn on the cob, and watermelon.
  • You always strive harder when you know you have to put on a bathing suit the next day.
  • Water activities that make exercise fun.
  • Fresh air that reinvigorates the spirit.
  • You don't want to eat as much when it's hot.
  • Added resistance from the sand brings an extra calorie burn to a walk on the beach.
  • Fresh seafood, enough said.
  • Summertime always brings out the kid in people, and what do kids do?  They run around, play, and burn calories.
  • The higher temps and humidity makes you sweat more...and sweating is always good.
  • And last but not least: everyone always looks skinnier with a tan.
I'll close with one of my favorite quotes: "The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”~ Isak Dinesen.


No comments:

Post a Comment