Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Laser Tag Therapy

If you've ever worked out with a trainer, or a tough workout partner that pushes you, or even a challenging aerobics instructor, at some point, no matter how much you like to push it or how strong your commitment, your feelings toward them can get....how should we say it...cross.  It's an irrational feeling brought on by a moment of exhaustion and desperation, but it happens to the best of us.  Sometimes when they're pushing us to our limits for our own good, we just want to roll our eyes, stick out our tongues, and tell them "No I will not do 25 more squats, one more mile, 8 more reps"...you get the point.  A good trainer will push you beyond where you want to go, regardless of how mad that makes you.  The good thing is that the cross feelings only last momentarily and then you're left with a giddy feeling of accomplishment that makes you believe you can leap tall buildings in a single bound. That's the magic of trainers and I've been blessed to work with some awesome ones.

That being said, when a bunch of us got together to play laser tag, my trainer Jeff included, I was chuckling the evil plan laugh to myself at the fact that I got to shoot at him with a laser gun and - what luck! - we split up into teams of guys versus girls.  Stepping into the smoky, black-lit, rock thumping arena, I had two targets in mind: my trainer Jeff and my husband Eric.

As with many things, my laser tag game looked a lot cooler in my head than in real life...  I was in full-on James Bond mode in my head as I slid along with my back to a wall, laser gun in both hands, head going back and forth, looking in all directions for the enemy.  Creeping down under a low wall, I darted up briefly to take a few shots and then jumped back down to safety.  Yes, in my mind I was a combination of all the Charlie's Angels and Lara Croft rolled into one and Eric and I were in our own personal version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  In reality, I got off a few good shots but got hit equally as much if not more...let's just say my powers of stealth and battle strategy are in need of improvement.

All in all it turned out to be a great workout as we all emerged from the laser tag arena sweating like crazy.  I may not have won, but I got to shoot at both my trainer and my husband with a laser gun and that is prize in and of itself! ;)  It was good for the body and the spirit!






No comments:

Post a Comment