Until I found my way out of it, I never fully realized how held back I was by the way I used to live my life and the physical state I was in. There is such a blessing in the hard work it is to constantly deny myself the food I want to eat and to push myself the way I do in the gym: the wonderful freedoms that are around every corner. I don't think I could have truly appreciated them had I not experienced the cumbersome state of my former unhealthiness. Reveling in this freedom is what keeps me pushing forward and makes every minute of this fight worth it.
This weekend I found the perfect place to revel: Wilmington's annual Greek Fest. Let me back up for a minute to this time two years ago. I was in the worst shape of my life and (unbeknown to me) about six months away from changing my life forever. My husband and I headed out to the Greek Fest for the first time. It should have been a wonderful time but I honestly struggled even climbing on the trolley to head over to the event. Not only that, at the time I couldn't walk very far or stand on my feet for any amount of time. I also couldn't handle warm temperatures very well...all traits that added up to having a miserable time at a spring festival. I wanted to have a wonderful time, I wanted to walk around and see everything, I wanted to get up and dance the Greek dances with my husband. None of those were an option for me at the time, and let me tell you, there is very little more depressing than watching what you wish was your life slide by.
Fast forward two years and many pounds lost later and I couldn't wait to head out to Greek Fest to celebrate my birthday with my husband and our great friends Millie (who's been by my side every step of the way, shedding pounds with me) and her husband Sergio.
 |
| Heading over on the trolley, feeling festive. |
This year I knew I was going to enjoy myself very much and be able to do anything I wanted. Our friend and Transformation Team member, Flo, was volunteering at the Fest and had promised to teach us the Greek dances. Millie and I were totally excited and the husbands were, as always, along for whatever crazy ride we decide to take them on. Everyone was starving so we sampled the food and vino first.
 |
| A toast to my girl! Love ya Millie! |
 |
| The husband enjoying his lamb shank way too much! |
|
|
We had an awesome time and hollered "Opa!" I don't know how many times. Then it was time to work off our gyros with some Greek dancing.
 |
| Flo, Millie and I dancing round and round again. It's blurry due to how fast we were going. |
It felt exhilerating to hold the hands of my friends and my husband and dance round and round and round again to the wonderful music, knowing that two years before I sat as only an unhappy observer. This time, my feet were light and my muscles endured for song after song (and Greek songs are not short by any means). At the end of the dancing I was sweating, Step class style...the sign of a great workout!
If you're considering getting on a weight loss journey, or needing motivation to keep going or to start up again, take my advice and do it. Just do it. It means the difference of sitting on the sidelines of your life or getting up and dancing.
No comments:
Post a Comment