Monday, June 18, 2012

3rd 5K

So I said I was done with 5Ks for the summer due to the increasing heat...well I guess I was wrong about that.   When my husband, who obviously has caught the 5K bug from our race last month, said he wanted to do the local Blueberry Festival 5K, I grimaced. 

"It's gonna be hot." I said.

"You don't have to do it," he said. "I can do it by myself."  Ah reverse psychology, you know me so well.  Of course I was going to do it, if not for anything other than the shear fear that the minute I say I can't do something I'll be on that slippery slope back to my old ways. 

I prepared myself for the stifling conditions that usually accompany the Blueberry Fest (people literally fall out from the heat) but God blessed us with wonderful temperatures, a sunny day, and a shady flat course.   It was by far the biggest 5K I've done with upwards of 500 runners/walkers.

Like usual, my group (husband, sister and myself) got to the very back of the crowd that included my friends, cousins, and co-workers.  The music played, the runners stretched themselves in various positions, the serious competitors bounced up and down on their heels...and the three of us just hung out in the back making jokes and trying not to think about the miles ahead of us.  And then we were off...some of us faster than others that's for sure.

The hubs, my sister, and me...waiting to hit the road.  


My friend and fellow fitness buddy, Vera, and I.


As with the other 5Ks I've done, I was excited to start, hated every footstep of those 3.2 miles, and then felt like a rock star as I crossed the finish line.  So maybe I wasn't finished with 5Ks until cooler temps...just as soon as I say I'm not going to do something, I find myself with some numbers strapped on going down the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment