Friday, February 10, 2012

Putting In The Time And The Changes That Come With It

Kickboxing was on tap today at the gym, always my favorite.  It was also cool to have some of us from the Transformation 1.0 crew and the new Transformation 2.0 crew all sweating it out together.  As we staggered into the locker room with our sweaty shirts and red faces, Millie and I traded some of our old stories with Crystal who is part of the new group.  It has been interesting to look back at those early days and see just how the fitness journey has evolved us. If you stick with it and just give it the time it needs, the journey can truly transform you. But it takes time...and that time is essential to making lasting changes.  You have to experience the successes and the defeats, the tears and the triumph, the mistakes and the milestones in order to become the fit person that you picture in your head.  There's no magic formula; you just have to show up every day and do the work.

Today as we were trading stories in the locker room, I was telling the girls about a push up contest I had with my husband and I became aware of another one of the many changes that have occurred in me along the way: endurance.  When I first began working out, I suffered through high rep routines and classes thinking all the time, "How much longer do I have to do this? Ugh, how many more reps?"  My attitude was that of surviving my workouts and getting through them with sweaty desperation.  Somewhere along the way, without my realizing it, I turned into a person who looks at high rep circuits and marathon classes as a challenge she wanted to embrace. Suddenly I wasn't a person saying, "How many more do I have to do?".  I was a person who said, "Hmm...wonder if I can do that?" and then a person who said with a gleam in her eye, "I'm going to try to do a 5K, flip a big tire 18 times in 100 degree weather, the Navy Seal workout, a two hour zumba class" and all the many other fitness milestones along the way.   That mental transformation that comes with putting in the time day after day, is as thrilling as physical one.

No comments:

Post a Comment