Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Own Two Feet

Sometimes life throws a monkey wrench in your plans, as I found out Wednesday.   After having a great workout week and tracking my calories faithfully on www.myfitnesspal.com, I was revved up and ready for Step class (aka the biggest calorie burn of my week) on Wednesday.   My car, however, had other plans for my day and I ended up having to take the day off to put it in the shop for repairs.  

When I got to the shop I was hating the fact that not only did I have a repair bill ahead of me, but I also was missing my workout.   However, as I got ready to get on my phone and call someone to pick me up at the shop, I looked outside at the beautiful, sunny day and down at the tennis shoes on my feet.  Calculating the distance to my grandparents' house as only a couple of miles away, I put away my cell phone and took off down the road. 

As I strolled down the road, I was struck again by the change in not only my body, but my attitude.   I imagined myself as very European (they walk by far more than we do over here) and soon I had gotten a great sweat going.  A lot of times we get so caught up in keeping our exercise in the gym, when really a workout can  be found anywhere.  It felt great to leave the repair shop knowing that I had the stamina to get to my destination with nothing but my own "steam".  Thinking back to my former state of feeling out of breathe just trying to do my regular grocery shopping, I reveled in the freedom I felt as my feet carried me down the road.  I had no idea back then just how trapped I was or just how sweet a strong body can feel.

Today I was back in the gym working out with my buddies in our usual sweaty way,  but yesterday (although it had its annoyances) turned out to have it's bright spots too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment