I'm currently reading The Hunger Games and cannot seem to put it down. Not giving away any of the story, but it involves a heroine who is taken from a desolate life where there is very little to eat to a gleaming capitol city to compete in a fight to the death. When she gets to the Capitol, she's given abundant amounts of rich, wonderful food and she definitely indulges in it, sometimes to the point of making herself sick, because she's used to a life of near starvation.
In Kickboxing today I started thinking about The Hunger Games and how it kind of translated to real life. How many times have I indulged myself because I was at my favorite restaurant? Or at a social get together where there were treats that I don't usually allow myself? Or better yet, because it was Thanksgiving or Christmas? As illogical as it is, a lot of times don't we approach food like it's the last time we're ever going to have an opportunity to have it? Or worse, ramp our calories back with some crazy fad diet that can't be sustained for the long run, until we finally break and over indulge like we're at our first feast at the capitol city.
Today I wasn't in an arena in a televised struggle to the death like in The Hunger Games, but this is still the fight of my life and I need to treat it as such. That being said, I highly recommend the book. I made sure I didn't bring it with me to work because I would have been tempted to skip the gym at lunch and use my hour reading. Be warned if you decide to read it: it's highly addictive.
No comments:
Post a Comment