There is a window of time in each day when even the most dedicated person loses momentum. No matter how much you enjoy working out or how committed you are, there comes a point in your day when you just don't feel like working out. For me, this time of day is the evening.
I found myself today faced with this challenge. I'd enjoyed a wonderful lunch with my Momma and brother during my hour break today and so I waited until after work to go down to the gym. It was Monday. I was tired. It was nearly six o'clock and I was facing not only a forty-five minute ride home but also a trip to the grocery store and a load of laundry waiting for me at home. What usually is something that I look forward to suddenly had become a chore.
I've written about this before. It's how I feel every time I have to workout after work...unmotivated, grouchy, and nervous about how late the evening is getting. But I know that if I let myself skip one day, it gets just that easier to skip the next day, and then the next and that's how the momentum deflates.
Thank goodness some of my friends were in the gym and I didn't feel like I was there by myself. When your motivation is low, you just have to grasp on to anything that pushes you forward. That being said, halfway through my run I heard a loud siren. I jumped onto the sides of the treadmill and hit the emergency stop button. Yanking my ear buds out, I looked around to see everyone else in the same state of exercise freeze frame. 95% of me was like, "Yes! Fire alarm! Let me grab my stuff and get out of here!"
But alas, the alarm was just a sound effect built into the track of the song playing on the speakers and I had to continue my workout. I finished but I didn't push it like I normally would had I been working out at my normal time. Days like today will happen and sometimes you just have to suck it up and get things done, but in order to get the most out of a workout, you need to pick a time of day that you are most motivated. Either that or pray for a fire alarm.
No comments:
Post a Comment