Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Goonies Never Say Die

One of my favorite movies is an eighties classic, "The Goonies," and one of my favorite lines from that movie is "Goonies never say die."  Over this past year I have really tried hard to develop that "never say die" attitude and I've worked out through injuries, wardrobe malfunctions, and time constraints. Yesterday, in typical Monday fashion,  I found myself facing all three.

It started out with the lovely "blue screen of death" on my laptop, and I spent the majority of my day contending with a loaner laptop and the terror that my hard drive couldn't be saved.  Needless to say, this produced time constraints. Challenge one.

I made it to the gym with my mind in tailspin of deadlines and IT nuisances, but the instant my feet crossed the threshold of the locker room, I calmed down. Ah, my happy place, my comfy nest. I felt the tension leave me...that is until I unzipped my gym bag and realized that in my blind groping through my closet that morning, I'd grabbed a T-shirt that was easily three sizes smaller than the one I had intended.  Wardrobe malfunction.  Challenge two.

"Oh man.  What am I going to do now?" I said to Julie, holding the small shirt out to her like a limp fish.

"Remember last week when you made me wear those tight pants?" She said with a satisfied grin.

It was true.  Julie had forgotten workout pants that day and was about to turn back and skip the gym.  I herded her into the gym telling her that she must go on, and Florence, who always has extra stuff, generously offered her a pair of leggings.  Now, we don't call Florence Mighty Mouse for nothing. She's a petite powerhouse and several inches shorter than Julie, but brave Julie put on the tight, high-water pants and carried on.  Now I was forced to do the same.  I shimmied into the shirt and was happy to find out that while it was form fitting, I could wear it without too much scandal.

Tight shirt and all, I jumped on the treadmill and started my 5K intervals, running a minute and walking a minute.  About halfway in,  my hip started hurting.  I powered through for a while, but finally I had stop and get on the bike which took some of the pressure off.  Challenge three.  Well, Goonies never say die and I was determined to finish my workout. 

Despite a hectic day, Monday ended well with a great evening spent with Vera, Amy, Will and our special guest, Debbie Daniels of the A & E show, "Heavy".  It was awesome to hear more of her inspiring story (she's lost over 250 pounds, holla!), as well as learn some of the behind the scenes secrets of the TV weight loss industry. Debbie has faced many adversities, but continues with inspiring determination down her path.

I thought about Debbie's determination today as I led our group through a strength training-cardio interval workout.  After each set of exercises, I had us running to the back of the gym, touching the wall and running back to begin the next set.   My hip flexor screamed the whole way, and at one point I had to quit running and power-walk for the rest of the workout, but I am stubborn and was going to finish no matter what.   Now I am confident after all this time to know when to pull the plug and not hurt myself,  but I was confident with this (not my first go-round with this lovely hip strain) I could modify and keep going.  Goonies never say die right?

No comments:

Post a Comment