Sunday, July 29, 2012

Taking Aim

Losing weight and feeling healthier opens you up to all kinds experiences you never would have thought you would have.  It is because you feel better and are able to do more, and because you have the self confidence to try new things you never would have dared before, and also because you develop and adventurous side that craves new experiences after a time of constantly holding back like you did when you were in bad shape. 

I've found myself becoming a person who jumps at every chance to try something new and this weekend I got another chance.  A friend of ours was hosting a pig picking for his bow club out at his hunting camp and, along with the usual Southern fare, were archery activities for everyone from beginner to the serious sportsman.  I was excited, being the Hunger Games geek that I am, to find my inner Katniss and try my hand at shooting a bow and arrow.

Getting set up.
Here's what I learned about archery:
  • It takes quite a bit of upper body strength.  Glad I lift weights!
  • There are a lot of the same principles involved as strength training at the gym; it employs the push/pull method where you push the bow out ahead of you and pull the string back at the same time.
  • Stance and form is as important as it is in the gym; you have to square up your shoulders and your legs while engaging the before-mentioned push/pull method.
  • It's a lot harder than what it looks like.
  • I'm not Katniss yet, but I managed to hit the target in the circle.
  • I'm definitely hooked!  

No comments:

Post a Comment